Forum
  • Register
AFireHawk : Anyway just an old retired hero stopping by to see how everyone is doing. I am also impressed the clan is still going on, that alone is a feat of endurance and strength among its leaders.
07/07/2020 - 10:08
AFireHawk : It has been several years since I have checked on you guys how is everyone doing? I see DK is still around. I doubt very many people remember me from kicking ass in RA2 and Yuri's...
07/07/2020 - 10:07
[BBF]hisgun : Me again! July Roll Call is posted, please do like it says for the June Roll Call below..... that was easy.
07/01/2020 - 05:55
[BBF]hisgun : June Roll Call is posted. Near the top of any forum is the Roll Call Announcement. Click on the Red "Read More" then on the page that comes up click on the red link. Post the games you play. TY
06/01/2020 - 00:15
[BBF]hisgun : May Roll Call is posted. Near the top of any forum is the Roll Call Announcement, click on "READ MORE" then click on the red link taking you to the Roll call page, there please list the game you play
05/01/2020 - 21:22 1
[BBF]DarkKnight : https://www.twitch.tv/xxbbfknightxx = My Kids Stream under my name. add and follow him/me
04/22/2020 - 18:07
[BBF]hisgun : That would be cool, I am not in charge of that area. lets hope we do, I those were my first real games, loved Command and Conquer Renegade. Good to see you alive and kicking.
04/05/2020 - 01:18 1
[BBF]DarkKnight : we adding command and conquer remastered when it comes out? :)
04/02/2020 - 11:08
[BBF]hisgun : February 2020 Roll Call is posted please click on "READ MORE" in the Announcement near the top of all forums and follow the link. Thank You.
01/31/2020 - 22:35
[BBF]hisgun : Yes Roll Call was a little late Again. Please click on "READ MORE" on the Announcement near the top of all forums and follow the link. Thanks
01/08/2020 - 06:06

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

What is to come for Minecraft

• [BBF]Chaser
  • [BBF]Chaser's Avatar Topic Author
  • DC Clan Hero
  • DC Clan Hero
  • Thank you received: 3

What is to come for Minecraft was created by [BBF]Chaser

This is going to be very hard for me to post because for the past few years Minecraft and The Baptized by Fires servers have been my baby and something I have dedicated a good majority of my life to. We have gone thru our ups and our downs and we have always tried to stay on top of what the community wants even with our limited resources and limited work force.

I would like to thank all of the GC’s that have helped Minecraft become what it is today within BBF as well as all of the current, and former officers as well as moderators for doing their part as well as our players for helping us create new things and set a name for our self’s.

Within BBF the Minecraft division has recently faced many major struggles which we have been fighting to get past and within the last few weeks many outside forces have made these struggles worse.

As of right now I nor does the DC, CLB, or the Minecraft staff knows where this division will be heading in the future however I will assure you that I will do as much as I can do keep this division alive.

I am making this thread so I can help everyone understand what is going on outside of the clan and know why things may be changing.

I also want to announce that our donation pool has enough to last us until about November 5[sup:2f5m5vha]th[/sup:2f5m5vha] and that currently I am not taking any donations until we know how to move forward (All donations from here on out will be refunded or sent to another BBF supported server).

Now to get to the point of this thread. (Most of the content below is pulled from other sources and there is a chance that not everything is correct)

[hr:2f5m5vha][/hr:2f5m5vha][/HR][size=4:2f5m5vha]
Is Microsoft buying Mojang
[/size]

Rumor has it that Microsoft is in the final stages of buying Mojang the maker of Minecraft for $2 Billion (yes with a “B”) however no one from either company has officially spoken about the buyout and there has been no news or updates in two days.

If you would like to learn more I found this article to be very interesting (I am sure there are more articles out their)
[url]How Microsoft Buying Mojang Could Change Minecraft Forever[/url]

[size=4:2f5m5vha]What happened to Bukkit?
[/size]
For those of you that do not know or dont quite understand what Bukkit is let me try to explain.

Minecraft its self doesn't allow for plugins to be added to Multilayer servers so Bukkit is a non-official Minecraft application programing interface aka an API. An API allows for new features to be added to an already existing program (Minecraft).

Many many moons ago Bukkit was called hMod and when the developer for that API decided enough was enough another group of developers took over and created Bukkit. Bukkit has pretty much been the Gold standerd for Minecraft API's and many of the other API's that are out their are a fork (they copy source code) of Bukkit including Spigot, Cauldron(MCPC+), and a few others.

On Auguest 21st the lead developer for Bukkit announced he was no longer going to be updating Bukkit because of actions taken by Mojang and the EULA (End User License Agreement) they suddenly forced on users and servers (servers cannot start unless they agree to the EULA now). Read more on this [url]HERE[/url]

Mojang caught wind of this and announced that they own Bukkit and he cannot do such a thing and now Mojang has taken over all resourced Bukkit had to their disposal.

Shortly after this mess many of the other developers of Bukkit announced they are resigning. That list can be found [url]HERE[/url]

Now the fun part begins and frankly me explaining it would take way too long but the following quote is a great bit to read.

Original post: [url]HERE[/url]

There's been quite a few stories about the whole Bukkit DMCA situation going around. Some are close to what's actually happened/ing, some mostly rumors, and others just flat out incorrect. So to quiet some of that I felt someone should write up exactly what's going on. Before I start though, please realize these are just generalizations, so don't nitpick the following if one little detail isn't 'exactly' right, this is more or less to give an overview of why various platforms don't have downloadable files up at the moment. And with that lets get started:

Who is this "Wesley Wolfe" person? Wesley Wolfe, also known as Wolvereness, is/was a person that made quite a few contributions, code wise, to the Bukkit project. He has NO association to Mojang or Multiplay(Bukkit's website hosting provider) outside of providing code to the Bukkit project.

What is a GPL or LGPL license? Both are agreements on how an author's code can and cannot be used. The two in question stipulate that the code can only be used in open source projects, where all of the code within the project must be open sourced as well. Furthermore all code in the project must be editable and redistributable by anyone. If a project does not meet these requirements the contributed code CAN NOT be used.

Mkay, but what's a DMCA or DMCA Take Down? DMCA stands for "Digital Millennium Copyright Act", and allows copyright holders to request the removal of their copyrighted content from 3rd party sites. Essentially "This site is using an non-authorized /something/ of mine, please remove it".

So how does this all relate? First, you must understand that part of Bukkit's source code is vanilla Minecraft server's binaries. These binaries are propriety to Mojang and ARE NOT open source. Wesley Wolfe submitted code to Bukkit with an attached agreement stating how the code can be used within the project; the GPL license you keep hearing about. As mentioned above this license/agreement stipulates that if the code is to be used it MUST be used in an open source project in which ALL code related to the project is ALSO open source. Since Bukkit ships with the vanilla MC server binaries its in violation of the license Wesley attached to his code and thus infringes on his rights as the copyright holder.

But doesn't Mojang own Bukkit? Yes and no. Mojang owns the name and trademark but outside of the vanilla Minecraft server's code they do not own Bukkit's source files. This is where the issue arises. When contributing to Bukkit an author does not have to sign over his/her rights to the code. Instead, authors essentially loaned the code to the Bukkit project with guidelines on how it could be used. Each contribution of code to Bukkit is still owned by the person that made it, unless they otherwise stated differently.

But wasn't Bukkit's GPL license invalid thus rendering all licenses under it invalid? No. Due to the contributes maintaining their copyright, the invalidness ends at the initial code. Just because the project leaders were working 'in the wrong' does not mean those that contributed later were as well. For an analogy, lets say you give someone a screw driver to get a screw out of the wall with. You tell that person exactly how to use it, but instead they try to use the screwdriver as a hammer. Even though they were using it wrongly, doesn't mean you did anything wrong by loaning them the screwdriver. Same thing can be stated here. Wesley contributed code to the Bukkit project with very strict guidelines on how it was to be used and Bukkit didn't follow those guidelines.

Surely he knew Bukkit couldn't meet his license's demands! As far as copyright is concerned knowledge of how it will be used is of no barring. Even if he knew the Bukkit project wasn't able to meet the terms of the license he submitted with his code and even if he knew Bukkit would use his code in violation of the license, it was BUKKIT's choice to use the code and they chose to use it even though they were in violation of the license it was given to them with.

Why doesn't Mojang just remove his parts are rewrite them?! This is where the water gets murky. Now that Mojang(or anyone wishing to 'fix' the issue) has seen the code, any replacement code could be argued as a derivative of Wesley's original code, thus violating Wesley's copyright and we'd be sailing in this boat again. Furthermore, even if Wesley didn't press the issue after his code had been replaced there's literally 100s(if not 1000s) of other contributors that can make the similar GPL or LGPL violation claim.

So will this effect the _____ platform? If the platform is built upon the Bukkit API (CraftBukkit, Spigot, etc), and they distribute any part of the Bukkit source that is either Wesley's code or a derivative of Wesley's code then they are also in violation of the license and susceptible to a DMCA take down request.

tl;dr: Guy contributed code to Bukkit with strict guidelines on how to use it, Bukkit didn't follow guidelines, guy tells Bukkit to stop using his code.

This was originally posted by [url]SReject[/url] on [url]Reddit[/url]

[size=4:2f5m5vha]So What is the next step?[/size]

Right now all of the major API's are shut down. Spigot has found a legal work around to update their code but as mentioned above any workaround to the source code in question could shut things own again so i dont foresee a 1.8 MP server API coming anytime soon.

Now some good news.

Their are a very few API's that are not based off of Bukkit code like Canary however its only stable for 1.7.2 and only has 1-5 people working on it.

Another good thing is that staff from all of the API's have decided to come together and work on a new community project called Sponge Powered.

Developers working on the new API include devs from Forge, Canary, Spout, Bukkit, Caouldron, and many others.

Their is no telling when Sponge will have a stable build or if something will happen before then but this is our only option. Once Spong eis out then plugin developers will need to recreate their plugins to run off of Sponge instead of Bukkit which is another task in its own.

[hr:2f5m5vha][/hr:2f5m5vha][/HR]
I feel very disgusted right now with the way some people must act and how they can only think of themselves when their are literally millions that are relying on something they did.

I hope the community will continue to come together and build something much better then Bukkit.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/10/how-microsoft-buying-mojang-could-change-minecraft-forever
13 Sep 2014 01:54 #52419

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• [BBF]Guardianxz
  • Sergeant First Class
  • Sergeant First Class
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by [BBF]Guardianxz on topic What is to come for Minecraft

(TL : DR) ""As of right now I nor does the DC, CLB, or the Minecraft staff knows where this division will be heading in the future however I will assure you that I will do as much as I can do keep this division alive. Rumor has it that Microsoft is in the final stages of buying Mojang the maker of Minecraft for $2 Billion (yes with a “B”) however no one from either company has officially spoken about the buyout and there has been no news or updates in two days.

On Auguest 21st the lead developer for Bukkit announced he was no longer going to be updating Bukkit because of actions taken by Mojang and the EULA (End User License Agreement) they suddenly forced on users and servers (servers cannot start unless they agree to the EULA now).

Right now all of the major API's are shut down. Spigot has found a legal work around to update their code but as mentioned above any workaround to the source code in question could shut things own again so i dont foresee a 1.8 MP server API coming anytime soon. Developers working on the new API include devs from Forge, Canary, Spout, Bukkit, Caouldron, and many others.

I hope the community will continue to come together and build something much better then Bukkit.""

The gist of this post.

Was a good read. Hopefully Mojang/Microsoft (however that transaction works out) can sort out their issues with all of this riff raff and get Minecraft server owners back on their feet. Thanks for all that you've done for the MC division Chase. I can't imagine the headaches you must have been getting these past few weeks :(
13 Sep 2014 02:12 #52420

Replied by [BBF]Zodiac13 on topic What is to come for Minecraft

It's a shame the Tekkit API requires client side mods to be installed.
[align=center:2lra7q9k]

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

[/align:2lra7q9k]
13 Sep 2014 02:15 #52421

• [BBF]Corruption_Echoes
  • First Sergeant
  • First Sergeant
  • Thank you received: 2

Replied by [BBF]Corruption_Echoes on topic What is to come for Minecraft

tekkit is not an API, tekkit is a brand of mod pack similar to behemoth, FTB, and hatpack that uses the forge API(that hasn't been affected by this)
13 Sep 2014 05:10 #52422

Replied by [BBF]Zodiac13 on topic What is to come for Minecraft

is it possible that forge might have some plug ins or what ever that could be used in the place of the missing bukkit ones?
[align=center:2lra7q9k]

[/align:2lra7q9k]
13 Sep 2014 05:41 #52423

• [BBF]Corruption_Echoes
  • First Sergeant
  • First Sergeant
  • Thank you received: 2

Replied by [BBF]Corruption_Echoes on topic What is to come for Minecraft

Yes but clients still need forge installed which kills guest participation
13 Sep 2014 17:39 #52425

Replied by [BBF] Itchy on topic What is to come for Minecraft

When are you guys on I play and never see anyone but Hisgun. Sure I don't build anything big at this time but I do get on and have fun. I never see any Officer on.
13 Sep 2014 21:43 #52426

• [BBF]Chaser
  • [BBF]Chaser's Avatar Topic Author
  • DC Clan Hero
  • DC Clan Hero
  • Thank you received: 3

Replied by [BBF]Chaser on topic What is to come for Minecraft

[BBF] Itchy;52426 wrote: When are you guys on I play and never see anyone but Hisgun. Sure I don't build anything big at this time but I do get on and have fun. I never see any Officer on.

I have said over and over again that I will not be playing as much but i cannot speak for the Division staff.

I am just way to busy with my RL to make time to sit and play games.
13 Sep 2014 22:37 #52427

Replied by [BBF]C5mith on topic What is to come for Minecraft

[BBF] Itchy;52426 wrote: When are you guys on I play and never see anyone but Hisgun. Sure I don't build anything big at this time but I do get on and have fun. I never see any Officer on.

Right now I am attending College Monday - Thursday. After classes, I work, usually until 10 at night, then have classes the next day. Fridays I work in the morning & afternoon. For every 1 hour of class I have, I get 1.5-2 hours of homework, so when I get nights that I don't work, I do homework the rest of the night. I also work every other weekend for most of the day, so these weekends that I work, I still have to finish any homework that I didn't already do. Then take in my down time when I'm not working, in class, or doing homework. I do things other than playing minecraft. I also recently got two new games, League of Legends & Destiny, so I want to play them as well when I have time. Not playing them would be like not driving a car you just bought & just letting it sit in the driveway.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
14 Sep 2014 09:24 #52430

• [BBF]hisgun
  • Lieutenant General Human Resources
  • Lieutenant General Human Resources
  • Thank you received: 12

Replied by [BBF]hisgun on topic What is to come for Minecraft

I don't have a life so I play.... Been on a lot this weekend even made a villager "church" near spawn so new people can find food and maybe stuff in a box there and be safe until daylight. I got to thinking people need to see stuff near spawn or it looks like no one is home. I will go see if it needs fixing hope to see some of you now and then. Good stuff Chaser. We can make just about anything work what ever we are limited to, We just have to put feet on the ground in game...

Yep they took the thing down to the ground, took me about an hour to fix it back again. I win.

14 Sep 2014 18:21 #52444

BBF News Archive

Site Traffic

Copyright

Clan BBF (Baptized By Fire) and www.clanbbf.com operate as a multiplayer gaming clan and gaming fansite, and are not endorsed by, or affiliated with Activision-Blizzard, BioWare, Blizzard Entertainment, Bohemia Interactive, DICE, Discord, Electronic Arts, Facepunch Studios, Lucas Arts, Microsoft, NCSOFT, Riot Games, Sony, Teamspeak, Tencent, Telltale Games, Twitch.tv, or their respective properties.

Content and media are displayed on this site for educational and informational purposes only under 17 U.S.C. § 107 Fair Use, are subject to copyright by their respective owners, and should not be downloaded, redistributed, modified, or sold without their express consent. Views and content published on www.clanbbf.com are written by individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of Clan BBF.

More information can be found at our full disclosure page.

Copyright © 2016. Clan BBF. All rights reserved.